Monday, March 7, 2016

Poem: Unconformed

I wrote this about 6 months after I came out to my parents.  They went from always being my number one supporters and cheerleaders to being my biggest opposition.  We went through 2 1/2 years of disagreement hell together.  However, once they realized that it wasn’t an experiment and that it was truly a deep part of who I am, my parents have loving embraced me and supported me since.  

UNCONFORMED
By: Jessica Cole Robinson
3-3-05

You think you can stop me
With your doubt
Change my world
With a cry and a shout
Pull the carpet out from underneath me
To make me beg
But I’m stronger than that
To fall victim 
To the system
That made me this way
Better than a sellout
Tougher than you believer
Cut me down a few more times
Whatcha wanna do, see me bleed?!
You slander my intentions
Diminish my beliefs
Hate our differences
See scum -- that is all -- underneath
You built me up from infancy
A strong individual with pride
Now that I’m my own woman
You want me to conform
You want me to hide
Comforting hand that loved 
Has been pulled back from my soul
Left to fend for myself
I’d rather not know
Know that my conceivers love
Changes with disagreements tide
Know that the desire is for me
Not to be my own 
To flow in wake of parents pride
Illusions have become us
Soon I’ll flip further into your unknown
Refusing soul prostitution
In only God I find home
Two wrongs won’t make this right
For your love -- not going to back down
I’m gunna fight
Hold closely my accusers 
With the love I do not get
In the end I’ll prosper
I do not fret
So you may hate me 
The very being your love and blood formed
But when you go to hit my cheek
I’ll turn the other one
STANDING STRONG -- ME -- UNCONFORMED




No comments:

Post a Comment